When you’ve been painting as long as we have, you hear a lot of questions. We’ll answer those questions here, and if you have any questions you’d like to have answered here, you can email us at Info@PerformancePainters.net.
1. What is the difference between the different finishes?
There are a number of differences between each finish, and choosing the right one can make a big difference in the look and feel of a room.
- Flat Finish – Ideal for all surfaces, especially rhose which have imperfections including bedrooms, dining rooms, and living rooms.
- Eggshell/Velvet Finish – A unique, low sheen finish. Ideal for hallways, living areas and bedrooms.
- Satin Finish – This finish provides a surface that can be washed, making it a perfect fit for childrens’ rooms, project rooms, kitchens and living rooms.
- Semi-Gloss Finish – Best for use on accent areas such as trim, doors and door frames. Also good for use in kitchens and bathrooms.
2. How does lighting effect the look of a room? How does it alter the colors?
The lighting of a room can totally change the perception of colors, not to mention the overall mood of the room.
- Direct Sunlight – Is considered the ideal light source, natural sunlight maintains a neutral balance between both the warm and cool ends of the light spectrum. Northern light is the coolest light, while southern exposure is the strongest. Direct sunlight provides the “truest” look to chosen colors.
- Indirect Sunlight – Natural sunlight is, of course, inconsistent. It changes throughout the day from sunrise through dusk. The variation from intense golden rays to long shadows have a profound effect on colors and subsequently the room.
- Artificial Light – Incandescent and halogen lights add a warm feel to colors and dulls cool colors, whereas florescent lights enhance blues and greens and mutes warmer colors like reds and yellows.
3. Can you paint over wallpaper?
We run into this question all the time and the short answer is yes. Done right it is just as easy as painting drywall and much quicker than attempting to remove it. Of course, if you’d prefer to have the wallpaper removed prior to painting that is possible as well.
4. How many coats is enough?
It depends on the type of paint, the color, and the color of the surface being painted. Some rooms being painted in a like color can be completed with as little as two coats. Some rooms will require many more, for example, if you are changing a room from a dark to a light color.
5. Where are you located, what territory do you cover?
Performance Painters work around the DC Metro Area, focusing mostly on the Northern Virginia area. We also work in Southern Maryland and within the District of Columbia. If you’d like to know if we’ll come out to you, just give us a call or email us.
6. What kind of clients do you work with?
We work with a wide array of clients. If you need it painted, we can help. We’ve worked with individual home owners and renters as well as corporate property managers and any company that need their offices or locations painted. We’ve also worked with home owners associations and construction companies looking for a finisher. We’re always happy to help, just let us know what you need!